Karela is a green fruit; cucumber-like shaped however the appearance depends on the areas where it is grown. Many people refer to it as the bitter squash and scientifically known as Momordica Charantia. It’s commonly found in the Caribbean, India, china, and Pakistan.
It is prepared the same way as fried foods with onions, pepper, tomatoes, and other spices. It can be prepared as a main menu or side dish. This bitter fruit has got several health benefits to the body; the fact that comes from drinking the bitter juice is extremely amazing. The juice contains a range of important nutrients from iron, magnesium, vitamins to potassium, it’s indeed an excellent source of dietary fiber, and it contains twice the calcium of spinach, beta-carotene of broccoli and potassium of banana.
Nutrients and Healing properties.
- It contains insulin-like compound called polypeptide which controls diabetes naturally, it’s rich in folic acid which are known to decrease the risk of stroke and keeps the heart healthy.
- For a glowing skin and lustrous hair. The vitamin A and C prevents skin aging, diminishes wrinkles, reduces acne, and protects the skin from harmful UV rays.
- It cures the liver as it strengthens the antioxidant activity of the enzymes in the liver.
- It boosts the immune system as it fights viruses and bacteria, prevents allergies and indigestion.
- The oxidants work as a powerful defense mechanism against illness and help free radical damages that can cause various types of cancer. The vitamin A and C helps in strengthening the eyesight.
Much as the fruit treats many diseases, Doctors advice moderation while eating or drinking the juice as it may lead to abdominal pain and diahorea, pregnant women are advised to avoid too much consumption as it may cause preterm labor.